Tuesday, August 2, 2011

End is always a Beginning

Today, as I packed the CD boxes and made the inventory lists for our recital next week, I realized that I am sold out of my first solo recording, the 12 Fantasias by Georg Philipp Telemann.  One copy remains, and somebody has just requested it through FaceBook, so I will have to pluck it out of the inventory.  Of course, it will always be available for download on CD Baby, but that just isn't the same.
As I rummaged through other boxes, looking for any stray copies (there have to be some!), I found my absolutely first copy of this project... it is a dub of the master that I made with a mock-up of all the art work and I remember that my ex made the disc cover.  So simple!  I included thank-you’s and an auto-caricature of myself and some conversational liner notes printed on nasty yellow paper and I made a laser print of the art work.  I glued everything together and promptly sent it to my mother... she kept it and I found it when I moved her belongings recently.  It is innocent and hopeful and crude and optimistic... it is my first step into the world of making solo recordings.  And one thing is for sure... my hair is really different now!
At the same time that I realize this first project has disappeared into the world, I am working on the marketing plans for the Canadian Concerti Project and thinking of ways to get the means to pay our orchestra to record five concerti written for me and Guy in the last 3 years.  One thing leads to another in the music world... 10 solo discs later, I can say that the new projects lie on the same path that was started with the lovely, solitary solos of Telemann, written and self-published at a time in his career when he was interested in being more independent.  The invention of the young Canadian composers is linked with Telemann by the voice of the bassoon... or maybe it is more accurate to say that I discovered all of these artists for myself through the prism of the bassoon.  Or maybe I should just stop talking now.





No comments: